Friday, January 28, 2011

An Initial Outline

I am something of an organization freak when I write long prose. Shaping something visually (perhaps because I am also an artist) always helps me to contain verbal affluence. I imagine--and actually know--that most writers have these little tricks to help them to write. Mine may not be writing in bed (forget who that was), or using three sharpened #2 pencils, or a special ancient typewriter, but it is an eccentric trick, too, of a sort.

Thus, I have created an initial outline, which I may or may not alter as I go (oddly, when I have written other things, I have followed my initial outline to the finish line):


Dedication

Preface

Approximately 10-12 chapters

Chapter 1: New York/East Coast - William and Charles
Chapter 2: Ireland/Ellis Island - Sylvie & her brother
Chapter 3: Skull Valley/first peoples
Chapter 4: Camp Verde - The Sutler Store
Chapter 5: Jerome/Sylvie/brothels - the mining rush
Chapter 6: The minister
Chapter 7: Prescott/family relations
Chapter 8: The ghost
Chapter 9: The US Senate
Chapter 10: San Francisco
Chapter 11: The House & legacy

No comments:

Post a Comment